Thanks to hurricane Irma, the weather has turned and Atlanta’s temperature is in the 60’s. As you can imagine, it’s really starting to feel like fall over here. Today was rainy and cold, which meant I was craving a warm meal. This amazing biscuit chicken pot pie is the ultimate comfort food. Instead of making a traditional pot pie with a pie crust, I used biscuits to create a flaky delicious topping. The filling is packed with carrots, peas, onions, celery, mushrooms and chicken while the top is light and soft. This meal screams home and warmth….
When life gives you lemons, make Lemon Chicken Piccata!
This is a classing one-pan lemon chicken dish topped with capers and lemons. Beyoncé isn’t the only one that loves lemons around here. Lemons contain vitamin C, aid in digestion, and are perfect mood boosters. Now sprinkle some of that lemon goodness on top of breaded chicken and you got yourself a meal.
Do you ever wonder why so many movies and T.V. shows have scenes where characters are eating Chinese takeout??? Whether it’s eating alone while coping with a breakup or indulging cross legged on the floor in an empty home, Chinese food is always there!
Yesterday was Sunday, which means it was crockpot Sunday in the Swinton household so I made Turkey & Sweet Potato Chili. Like I said once before, crockpots are perfect for Sunday’s because they’re simple and need little to no attention. I spent the day running errands and came home to a meal ready to eat! My favorite part about chili is all of the different toppings that can go along with it, so I made a topping bar and the options were endless.
Is it delivery, no it’s Swinton Kitchen!
Erik and I are planning our honeymoon to Italy and all of this Italian talk has got me day dreaming of authentic pizzas and homemade pastas. I picture myself walking the cobblestone streets of Sorrento, overlooking the Mediterranean Sea with a big slice of cheesy pizza in my hand. Since I still have over six months till the trip I made some homemade pizza of my own. There is nothing more appropriate, while booking your honeymoon to Italy, than eat pizza and drink wine. Am I right?
- 1 envelope of instant dry yeast
- 1 tsp. of sugar
- 1 tsp. of honey
- 2 tsp. of salt
- 1 cup of hot water
- 1 tbsp. of olive oil
- 2 cups of flour
Toppings & Sauce:
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 garlic gloves- roasted
- ½ can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella (sliced)
- 3-5 Fresh basil leaves
- Pour the yeast and hot water into a large mixing bowl, whisk until yeast has dissolved.
- Let sit 1 minute and add salt, sugar, and honey then stir
- Add 1 cup of flour and mix- I used my kitchen aid as it’s a perfect tool to knead the dough (hands work too!)
- Continue adding flour until the dough is forming a ball and not sticky
- Knead the dough for 2 minutes than form a ball
- Rub olive oil and let the dough sit
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees- let the pizza stone warm up in the oven as the oven as preheats
- Place 2 tbsp. olive oil in a small sauce pan on low heat
- Add garlic, dice tomatoes and Italian seasoning- let cook for 5 minutes- this is your sauce
- Remove the pizza stone from the oven
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a circle and place on the stone (CAUTION: IT’S HOT)
- Quickly roll the edges to form a crust and assemble your pizza **the stone will be so hot your pizza will already begin cooking
- Add the sauce, sliced tomatoes, fresh basil, and fresh mozzarella
- Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella
- Bake for 10 minutes or until pizza begins to golden
Feeling uneasy about the election? Rather talk about something lighter and sweeter? These mouthwatering Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars are the perfect way to console yourself. They’re chewy and chocolaty, just the comfort food you need to get through today’s politics. And even more uplifting news… they’re not even terrible for you, so go ahead and have as many as you want.
Vote for Cookies!