Wakey, Wakey, Eggs and Bakey! No, but seriously if you woke up feeling extra hungry you need to try this recipe. Last night, out of the blue, Erik told me he had the perfect breakfast casserole for me to make him the day after thanksgiving. I looked at him and laughed and said “oookay”. This is the guy that offered to make me dinner once, fish tacos. He took frozen fish sticks, wrapped them in tortillas and drizzled tartar sauce on top. So yah….It was random and unusual, but it got me thinking of different breakfast ideas.
This strata is a twist on French toast with bacon and cheese and I promise it will defeat all of your breakfast cravings. It’s easy to throw together and you can change it up with any breakfast meats and cheeses, I used whatever was in the freezer.
My serving size was small since I was experimenting and only feeding two but you can make this in a casserole too, just double or triple the recipe. My dish was 2.5” by 4.75” (serving size 1-2)
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 Hawaiian Roll buns (I had these in my freezer so they were actually buns. I used 3 pieces)
- 1 tbsp. of half & half
- of milk (I used almond)
- 3 pieces of cooked bacon, chopped up
- ¼ cup of shredded cheese (I only had mozzarella in the house & it was great but cheddar might be preferred)
- Salt, pepper, parsley to taste
- Grease a serving dish and set aside
- Cook bacon, cool, and cut into bite size pieces
- Beat the eggs, seasoning, milk and half & half in a large bowl
- Add the cheese and bacon and mix again
- Dice the bread into cubes and add the bread into the egg mixture, toss around so the bread soaks up the egg
- Pour into your greased serving dish and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until the egg rises and has a light golden top